- What is bringing you to therapy?
- How did you meet? What is the nature of your commitment to each other?
- What have your histories been about seeking/receiving comfort from people in your backgrounds? And with one another? What is your attachment style?
- Are we having a successful collaboration?
- How do you get into stuck places with one another? What happens then? Do you repair from difficult conversations? Do you know how?
- Can you “own” your negative cycle? Can we re-conceptualize the negative cycle as a possible portal to your deeper emotions?
- How does it feel to reach to the other from that vulnerable, soft place that is so different from your negative cycle?
- If you are more withdrawn, can you consider sharing more of your inner world with the person you love?
- If you are more of a pursuer, can you consider keeping your heart open to learning more about the other?
- You don’t have access to an EFT therapist in your area
- One of you travels and it’s difficult to get momentum in your therapy
- Your commitment to your marriage/partnership is weakening and you’d like a more concentrated “infusion” of understanding and intimacy
- You feel time pressure to deal with an affair or other injury to the relationship
- You’re from the larger Seattle area.
As my schedule permits, I offer “mini-intensives,” primarily for couples from outside Seattle. This model is used by other EFT therapists.
Typically I meet with the couple from 8:30-11:30 on Thursday and Friday mornings for two weeks in a row, for 12 hours total, plus an assessment session for one hour before we meet in person. Unless the couple has already started the transition to local care, I schedule one more morning session for 3-4 weeks later.
This approach is appropriate for:
- couples from the larger Seattle area (Whidbey, Tacoma, etc.) or
- couples from out of state
Steps of our work together:
The process begins with a three way conversation for an hour to ensure we are a good fit. We’ll discuss the appropriate media (phone, internet).
This conversation is followed by a detailed questionnaire that requires some time for each person to complete. This information helps me assess if my skills are a good fit with the couple’s needs. It also helps me begin to conceptualize the dynamics in the relationship.
I also ask that each partner read Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for Connection by Dr. Sue Johnson prior to the first meeting.
We start with a joint session for 90 minutes. Next, I meet with each partner individually for 90 minutes. These individual sessions focus on goals for therapy, attachment experiences and family history. After these individual sessions are complete, we will most likely meet as a threesome for the remainder of our time together. I’ll give some feedback about what I’ve learned from each of you in the individual sessions.
Even though this is a considerable amount of time together, there may be limits to what we can accomplish in a limited time, particularly if there have been threats to the basic connection between you, eg betrayal, consideration of divorce, etc. This is why it is important for the couple to have EFT resources in their own community for follow-up to our work in the same model. Local support is also necessary because I rarely have openings in my private practice.
This model of therapy is not appropriate in cases of emotional or verbal abuse, alcohol or drug addiction.
Location: Either downtown Seattle in Pike Place Market area or NE Seattle near Children’s Hospital.
15 hours for 90 min @ $300= $4500
+ 1 hour @ $185 (pre-meeting phone/Internet session)
Total: $4685, divided in payments over the five sessions
Housing and meals are on your own.
Because these intensives require a significant time investment on my part, after the virtual meeting and before we meet I request half this amount ($2250) as a non refundable deposit.
I am happy to talk with couples ahead of the joint phone/internet meeting to assess if this is an appropriate option for your relationship. Please contact me with any questions.
Susan Raab-Cohen, PhD